Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Don't take it personally

I thought I'd take this time to let everyone know about why I won't tell you anything about our new son's first family. Some people have asked already and I'm sure I'll get more questions once we bring him home. It's natural for people to ask questions like "why was he up for adoption" or "what happened to his parents?". Unfortunately I'm not going to answer those questions and in an effort to not seem rude I'll try and explain it here. Basically, from the beginning of our adoption process, our agency has emphasized the need to respect our new son's privacy. The story of how he came to be adopted is his personal story and it's not for us to let people know about it. Adoptive parents are strongly encouraged to keep this info private until the baby knows his own story and is able to share what parts he wants. Now, in our case our son is 4yrs old already and surely knows of the events that led to him being adopted. Once we get to know him better and can communicate better with him, he can let us know how he wishes to deal with this subject. Once that time comes, if he wants to talk to people about his family in Ethiopia than that's fine with us, but we're going to leave that up to him. I will say that he was surrounded by people who loved him dearly until coming to the Care Center this fall.

Come on February 18th!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry. I don't take anything personally ;)