Thursday, January 24, 2008

Sad day for Ethiopian Adoptions

Well , today I woke up to an email from our agency. It was an email sent to all chsfs clients stating that all meetings with birth families are immediately being suspended. Apparently the US embassy in Addis has issues with contact between birth and adoptive families. I'm not exactly sure their reasoning and I sure hope to get some more info about this soon. Some of the higher ups from our agency are traveling to ET to help resolve this issue. Meeting birth families is a pretty common practice in ET and my agency is not the only one that does this. This is devastating news and I really hope they are able to come to an understanding and reinstate meetings by the time we travel. I feel really bad for all the families traveling now and in the next few weeks that will have to miss out on this important part of the adoption process. What a bad way to start the day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's horrible. I don't understand. Hopefully they can resolve this quickly.

Leah Spring said...

Oh how disappointing! I, too, hope they get the issue resolved quickly! Especially for those families in country now!